Thursday, October 25, 2007

My life in NYC - Reflections

After all these years of spending my time in NYC I have spent a lot of time reflecting. I have the following to say:

1. I miss Moran's. This World Financial Center Piece of Work shaped and symbolized many wall street types and wannabees over the years. It symbolized what we were all about in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It was a place where you could be a billionaire, zillionaire or zero-naire and it didn't matter. We all had fun and it showed. Sad they took the insurance dough though. The new place looks like a cafeteria. At least some other new places have taken over like SWNY. Stll not the same.

2. In general, the WTC. I don't want to rehash what I lived and everyone else in the area lived on 9/11. This situatation is so personal to me and friends. We safely and lucidly move on, it will always be part of my life. A deep part of my life. A deep part of all of our lives.

3. Robert Chambers. It may be looked upon as kind of strange, but I want to speak about Chambers. It intrigues me that he has run into the troubles he has over the last 20 years. People make their choices, and he has certainly made his. He has and will pay his price, probably for the rest of his life. He will not see the light of day again. I am not condoning the murder he has committed or the drug problems he has endured. I just feel that I, personally, may have fallen into the same traps he did. I'm not exactly sure where he is from, but I know where I'm from. It can be tough to live up to certain standards, also, addictions are tough to overcome. It is a shame that his life has amounted to so little at this point, so much wasted talent, So much potential lost. Maybe it is tabloid facination, maybe it is a story of a real guy who has just gone the wrong way. We'll see.

4. Hogs and Heffers. This NYC gem represents the world of the lower west side. Great place, tough area, cool people.

5. Grammercy Park - could be the nicest neighborhood in NYC and all of the world. How does someone afford to pay 18K per month in rent? Who knows, but a great area!!! Special times.

6. GMJC will be back!!!

7. Hot spots - The Bar Bat, Webster Hall, McMenimins, McFaddens and the Oyster Bar.

8. Central Park Zoo. Speakes for itself.

I'll be back.

JC

No comments: